Friday, April 25, 2008

Please Just Don't Play With Me, My Paper Heart Will Bleed.

After a friend and I went to Katie's charity benefit with Veranda last night, we stopped by a bar by my house and met some other friends. We grabbed a drink and walked out onto the "patio", which basically consists of an alley filled with tables and hundreds of people. The crowd was almost completely filled with Wall Street types and was almost entirely male. Being there last night made me realize why everyone in New York is single. It's almost impossible to date here, because 1. everyone knows how many other options they have on a daily basis, 2. the male to female interaction is bizarre, most guys simply stare at girls they think are cute all night and make comments to their friends about them, but almost none actually approach the girls they are interested in, 3. almost everyone you hang out with is also single, so it somehow seems the norm and finally 4. everyone is more concerned about their jobs and what's going on in their field of work than their personal lives.

Going out last night made me happy to get out of the city. I just don't see myself settling down here anytime soon and the more I look around me I realize it's almost an impossibility here, unless you're 40 or my age and have no social life. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know it can happen here, but let's be realistic, it's freaking hard to date in New York. Everyone thinks they're a hot commodity who won't settle for anything less than perfection, even if they're over 30 and balding, they still think they deserve a trophy wife because they're hella successful.

Me, I don't even want perfection, I just want someone who's perfect for me. I want someone I want to hang out with all the time, someone who doesn't annoy the hell out of me after a few dates, someone I can actually relate to. Maybe I'm just growing out of the city or the city's growing out of me, but I'm over the pretentious bullshit and fakeness that is so necessary in every aspect of life here, especially dating...Will dating be different in Florida? Or is dating everywhere as fucked up as it is NYC? I guess I'll be finding out very, very soon.

XoXo,
LMM

"Please just don't play with me, My paper heart will bleed, This wait for destiny won't do, Be with me please I beseech you, Simple things, that make you run away, Catch you if I can, Waiting, day to day it goes through, My tongue is, Tied to, a dream of being with you, To settle for less, is not what I prefer..." -The All American Rejects

3 comments:

Katie said...

I can't wait to see how it goes for you in Florida, though I'm sad you're leaving!

Anonymous said...

I hope you find what you're looking for :)

Anonymous said...

I'm excited!!