Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Randomness Of NYC.

Last night I met some friends out after work for happy hour. We went to a bar in the East Village and it sucked so we ended up going to a bar in the West Village that's usually always a good time. We go to hang up our coats and I see a face in the mirror behind me that looks really familiar. I stop and think for a second and tell my friends "I know that kid. Shit.". Then I realize the guy standing with his co-workers behind me is "Neighbor Guy", the guy Jess and I met last week at happy hour downtown that lives two buildings away from me.

I'm totally embarrassed. One, because I realize: A. He is hot. B. I couldn't remember if he was him or his friend when he texted me and emailed me last week and now I realize it was him, after I blew him off, (I am an idiot). C. Hillary and I went to his apartment for his "party" on Friday, and it was really on Saturday, so when we buzzed his apartment his roommate was like "he's not here, but you guys can come up if you want". What kind of an idiot shows up to a party when there is no party? Me. We were way too embarressed to go up, but now I had to explain the whole party on the wrong day situation. Shit.

Anyways, we go to the bar and grab a drink and he's like "Hey, Torrie! What's up? How are you?" And I don't know what to say because I'm still embarrassed about the party and about blowing him off last week, so I'm sure whatever I responded with sounded really cool. My friends laugh at me and we talk to him for a few minutes and meet a few of his co-workers and then walk to the other side of the bar to meet our other friends. We end up leaving a half an hour later to go to a charity benefit and I contemplate not saying goodbye but my friends basically force me to by telling me over and over how awesome he is. So we say our goodbyes and he invited us to another party they're having in a few weeks, though I think I'll be out of town. I finally email him back this morning. It'll be a small miracle if he responds after my amazingly cool and collected behavior last night.

It's really weird how small New York has gotten for me lately. It's actually starting to freak me out. When I first moved to the city I didn't know anyone, now it seems where ever I go I run into someone, lately in most cases, someone I don't want to see. At least last night's run-in was a good one. But doesn't it always seem like when you don't want to see someone you see them? When Mr. Nice Guy and stopped talking I would've done anything to run into him out, even see him on the subway for God's sake, but nope. It didn't happen, I didn't run into him until months after we ended, when it was too late to talk about things, and when, as luck would have it, his ex-girlfriend happened to be in town from half way across the country and standing right next to him. On the other hand, I would do anything not to run into Ivy or ETF, yet I've run into both of them. How is this possible? Is this some sort of karmic relationship revenge? I hope I've had my fill of it if that's the case...

LMM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was soooooooo cute!!! You have to go out with him!!!

Anonymous said...

You have the randomest luck always! lol.

xoxox,
m

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to see you saturday! we are going to have so much fun 1940's hollywood style!

Katie said...

You and your partying ways... you're ready to party even when there isn't one, lol!

You deserve a run-in free Happy Hour tonight... but is that any fun?? ;-) ;-)