Monday, April 14, 2008

The Trials And Tribulations Of Being A Dating Blogger.

(Thanks Twenty-Something And Clueless) :)

A recent New York Times article called "Channeling Carrie" by Leslie Kaufman chronicled the obstacles that modern day dating bloggers face. It was so dead on it was scary. We live in a world where we can find out basically anything we want about anyone. That anything becomes even trickier when the guys you're dating can find out what you're saying about them, as well as their competition with the simple click of a mouse. Some days I don't really get why people even care about reading about my dating life. About my drama. About my issues. And then I realize that most of us can see a part of ourselves when we read about other people's dating lives and dating dramas. We've all had relationship issues whether we'd like to admit it or not. And reading about other people whose relationships are even more fucked up than ours somehow makes us feel normal. And somehow makes our relationships seem functional.

If I had to describe my dating life over the past 3 and a half months of blogging in two words they would be: dramatic and complicated. Both as a direct result of this blog, yet I chose not to stop blogging. I'm sure my dating life would be a lot easier if this didn't exist, but in a weird way I feel like my blogging actually helps single girls and guys realize that they aren't alone in their search for the one, and helps them to accept the fact that no matter who you're with, relationships are never easy. Even with the right person, everything can't always be right. Differences are bound to arise, and arguments happen no matter how much you care for someone. I have learned that these both occur ten fold when one party is writing about said spats to any portion of the free world who wishes to read about them.

Guys basically get totally freaked out when they find this blog. They get even more freaked out when they read it. And a zillion times more freaked out when you write about them in it. I've done my best to try and keep my dating life somewhat private lately after the drama that occured with ETF, but deep down I feel that when I meet the right person they won't freak out about me writing about them or care about who I've dated or written about in the past. But for whatever reason, most guys are terrified of what I'll write about them. I don't know if it's an insecurity thing or if they're worried their friends will see it and make fun of them, or maybe a girl they date in the future will read and find out about their past "indiscrepencies"...Whatever the case a total freak out occurs 99.9% of the time when a guy I'm interested in finds out about my blogging.

Is there a guy out there who can handle my; crazy, emotional, blogging, loud, silly, flirty, non-committal self and accept me for who I am whole heartedly? Is a real relationship even possible when you're rarely in one place for more than a few weeks at a time? Will I continue dating Ivy's and ETF's for the rest of my single life? Or will I actually find someone who can keep me attention and be worthy of settling down and ditching my serial dating ways for?

You Be The Judge-
LMM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I thought of you right away as I was reading that article, heehee. Miss you!! ;) xoxo

Katie said...

ahhh so cool! I just read the article and read about Julia a while ago in Time Out New York.

So how's life in Florida these days??? Anything to write home about? lol

Anonymous said...

Your dating life is way more interesting than Julia Allison's!!! They should have written about you in there to!!!

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great article! Thanks for posting about it.

xoxo,
Jamie