Tuesday, April 8, 2008

You Say It's Your Birthday, It's My Birthday, Too.

I can't believe I'm 24 today. I remember when I thought 21 was over the hill. Now here I am at 24. I must say my life isn't where I thought it would be at this age. In college I was sure I would be engaged or married by now, with a great guy and a great career. I have the career part down, but the whole married thing, not so much. The weird part is, I'm ok with that. I am so glad I didn't end up with any of the guys I seriously dated in the past, because the truth is, it wouldn't have been right. I wouldn't be as happy as I am now, or living the life I am now.

I wouldn't be in Florida celebrating with my best friend. I wouldn't be living in NYC. I wouldn't be learning about myself by dating different people, or finding out exactly what it is I really want. And honestly, I don't think I'd want it any other way. Every day I start to realize more and more that it's a big world out there and I don't know anything about most of it. There is so much I haven't experienced yet and there is so much I want to learn more about. For me, not settling down has allowed me to do all of the things I wanted to do and not have to worry about anyone else. I think that's why most New Yorkers marry much later in life than the rest of the country. We all want to set the world on fire before we can share it with anyone else. I think this is also why I don't like dating guys under 30. They're still trying to start their fires and I'm realizing more and more that I need someone who's already ablaze to balance me out.

Looking back over the past year I have to say I've learned more about myself and what I want in a relationship than any year past. I ended a serious relationship and learned exactly what I didn't want by reflecting on that. And I've dated around enough from that point on to understand what qualities I love and hate in guys I date. And to be quite honest, before this year I never really stopped to think about what it was a really wanted in a guy. So, while everyone asks, "So, when are you going to settle down already?" more and more with each year that passes, maybe they should really be saying, "Wait to settle down until you know exactly what it is you're looking for and you find someone worth settling down for". At least that will be my advice as I (gracefully) age and am able to give words of wisdom to those younger than I.

More pictures of the girls from my 1940's Hollywood Glamour party Saturday and My Suprise! (Which was WAY too much! xxoo!):
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
More to come!
xoxo,
LMM

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! Saturday was sooooooooo fun!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY B-DAY!

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun weekend! Cheers to 24 years and... setting the world on fire ? haha

Kate said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope this year is full of adventures for you! See you in a few weeks!!

Anonymous said...

Looking gorgeous my dear!! I totally know what you mean about the older guys - I've been feeling the same way lately.

Happy birthday!!